Online booking

asked questions

Learning to fly

  1. How long does it take to gain my private pilot license?

    Learning to fly and completing the private pilot's license (PPL) varies largely from student to student. A proactive and prepared student who studies full time can achieve the PPL in as little as 6 months. Most students, who learn part time, normally complete the license within 2 years.

  2. Is ground school attendance necessary? What if I miss a ground school session?

    Ground school study is mandatory for the private pilot's license; it is a requirement to complete 40 hours of ground school tuition as part of the student's pilot training. Any student who has enrolled in a ground school course with Sea land Air and is unable to attend a session, can re-attend any session during the next 10 week cycle of ground school, until they have attended all topics within the syllabus.

  3. How much does it cost to learn to fly?

    All details regarding costs of flight training are provided on the Sea land Air website under Pilot Training. The Costs quoted are based on minimum requirements and Sea Land Air advises all students to allow for an additional 25% funding for achieving the license.

  4. Do I require a medical certificate before I can learn to fly?

    A valid medical certificate issued by an approved medical examiner from transport Canada is required before any student pilot can go solo. A student without a medical certificate can still learn to fly up until this stage.

  5. Regarding international students’ tuition fee, is the tuition fee in the quotation on brochure includes tax or not?

    The rate indicated on our website or brochure does not include tax.

  6. How do I get my ALPD?

    You will have to fill in the documents - Appendix A & B (attached file) and thereafter get it signed by our CFI and inform dispatch for a requested/available date & time to be set up at our SLA office at Boundary Bay. A copy of your aviation booklet will also be required.

    PDF Icon ALPD_appendices_form.pdf
  7. Where can I do my PSTAR EXAM?

    We conduct it at our school. If you are our student, no appointment is needed. If not, please book beforehand.

    There is no fee for this exam for our students. For non-SLA students, the fee is $30+tax (as of May 2023).

  8. How long does it take to get a first solo experience?

    Typical number of hours people take before solo is up to 25 hours of flight time. But getting ready for solo does not just depend on how your training goes. It also depends on many factors like document preparations, and plane maintenances that are out of your control.

    The most time-consuming part to prepare for your first solo flight is actually to get your medical certificate. Once done your medical exam with a doctor, it can take up to 4-5 months before you receive your medical certificate by mail.

    You will also need to factor-in some time to get your radio-opeartor certificate. After you're done with the radio-exam, it typically takes up to 2-4 weeks to get it by mail.

    Just taking 25 hours of flight time can take you a month if you could fly an hour every day. But in reality it takes much longer than that because you cannot fly everyday bcause of weather, the instructor availabilities, and palne maintenance, etc.

    With all these factors taken into account, it takes a few months to get up to your first solo.

  9. Is there any registration fee?

    Yes, the registration fee for CPL is $150+tax. For any other programs (PPL, ME, and ME-IFR), it is $30+tax. The price is as of 2023 May. It may be different at the time you apply. For the updated prices, please check our prices listed for all programs.

  10. How can I pay the fees for my training program?

    Only the registration fee needs to be paid before you start your training. Any other training fee can be paid "pay-as-you-go".

  11. When does the course start?

    There is no fixed starting date for your training course. Your training can start any day, unless there is a waitlist. Once becoming our student you will get an account for our online booking system, with which you can book your training at your own pace. All our students can book their training within 30 days from today.

  12. Can I start flying before getting done with the ground school?

    Yes, ground school is something to be done before you get your license but there's no prior requirement before starting your actual flight training. Ground school can be taken in pararell with the flight trainings.

  13. How do I get my radio operator certificate (ROC-A)

    1. Study and acquire necessary knowledge about aeronautical radio opeartion. For your study, please refer to Study guide issued by Industry Canada

    2. When you're ready to take the exam, fill out the infor in the PDF form below (but no need to sign at this point) then send it to us by email, with the title "ROC-A exam for Firstname LASTNAME"

    3. We will get back to you to schedule the date and time for your exam.

    4. Take the exam. Once you pass the exam, it will take 2-4 weeks for you to receive it in your mailbox.

    PDF Icon ROC-IC2382BC-10.pdf

International Students and Foreign licenses

  1. Do I need a study VISA if I want to learn to fly in Canada?

    If you plan to study in Canada (including learning to fly) for more than 6 months, then Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) require you to apply for a study VISA. There is no requirement for a study VISA if the planned term of study is less than 6 months, however CIC recommend all students apply for a VISA regardless of planned study time frame. More information can be found at www.cic.gc.ca

  2. I have a foreign license issued in another ICAO country; can I convert my license to fly in Canada?

    Yes, foreign license holders have the option of transferring a foreign license to a Canadian license. The applicant is required to have completed/obtained the following:

    • A valid Class III medical certificate issued by a Canadian approved medical examiner.
    • Obtain 90% in the PSTAR exam
    • Completed 5 take offs and 5 landings within the previous 6 months to the date of application.
  3. Does Sea Land Air provide accommodation for international Students?

    Sea Land Air doesn't provide accommodation for International students wishing to train in Vancouver; however we can help you with your search. Sea Land Air has gained a wide range of contacts with local home stay room rentals local to the Flight Centre. Most come with meals provided and are very popular with students training in Vancouver. Alternative options include room and apartment rentals advertised on local websites such as Craigslist and Kijiji. Typical room rentals vary from $500/month to $1000/month depending on location and size.

  4. What is the process of enrolling?
    1. Send us an email, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Please understand that we may be extremely busy when you contact us and it may take up to a week for us to reply.
    2. Depending on the situation at the time, we may have to put you on a waiting list for a few months, or longer. Once your wait time is over on the waiting list, we will contact you with our bank details.
    3. You will pay us $750 (as of May 2023) deposit via bank transfer. $500 would be used for issuing your Letter of Acceptance (LoA in the following), and $250 will be a part of your deposit that will be kept until you finish your training with us. In case you need the original hard copy of your LoA, it will be sent via UPS using the remaining deposit ($250).
    4. Once we receive your deposit, we will issue your LoA and send you the draft version.
    5. You confirm/correct the LoA draft as needed.
    6. Your LoA is signed by our Chief Flight Instructor, and you will receive a soft copy. If the original hard copy is required, it will be sent to you via UPS.
    7. With the LoA isssued from us, you will apply for your Study Permit. From here please follow the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.
    8. Once your entry to Canada is granted for your study, your Study Permit will be issued at the port of entry. Within two weeks of your arrival in Canada, you are required to visit our school before starting your flight training.

Other questions

  1. I got my PPL license 10 years ago but haven’t flown for a long time. What do I need to do get current?

    Your PPL licence holds lifetime validity, so it will never expire; you only lose your privileges as a pilot if your license is revoked or surrendered. However, In order to exercises the privileges of your license you must remain current, this means holding a valid Medical certificate conducting and a flight review with a Flight Instructor to refresh your skills, this may involve flying with an instructor until they are satisfied that your skill level is back up to standard. More information regarding recency requirements can be found here.

  2. If I complete the PPL and gain my licence, what kind of airplanes can I fly?

    There are many ratings which a pilot can hold, the most common rating a pilot will gain when they first begin to fly is "single engine, non high performance land" (SEL). This allows pilots to operate aircraft with 1 engine and with undercarriage for land based aerodromes; Aircraft such as Diamond DA-20, DA-40, Cessna 150, 152, 170, Piper Warrior and Cherokee would be good examples of this. Additional ratings can be gained allowing the pilot to develop their skill and experience such as float rating which allows pilots to operate aircraft from water aerodromes etc.

  3. After I gain my PPL, can I fly to or fly within US?

    YES, the PPL permits the holder to fly aircraft in any ICAO contracting member state including the US. You will be considered a foreign licence holder. Normally a flying school in Canada will request a US checkout with an instructor prior to any trip to the US to allow the licence holder to become aware of the difference(s) in procedures and customs.

  4. After I get the PPL, I want to reside overseas. What should I do?

    After gaining a PPL within Canada, the licence will need to be converted to the ICAO state issuing authority before you can fly with in that state, without being considered as a foreign licence holder. For more information you should consult the license issuing authority of the state you wish to reside in.

  5. What level of English is required for the PPL?

    Transport Canada annotates licences to indicate English proficiency. The holder is required to be assessed as "Expert" (ICAO Level 6) or "Operational" (ICAO level 4 or 5). More information can be found here.

  6. How do I register the ground school? What do I need for the ground school registration?

    You can register for ground school through Sea Land Air website www.sealandair.ca and navigate to the ground school page. You will be able to submit an enquiry form for ground school registration, a member of the Sea Land Air team will contact you with all the necessary details to get you registered and on your way to studying! Ground school kits are also available to purchase from the school and include all the items required for the student pilot.

  7. What is SLA's refund policy?

    Please refer to our admission handbook for further information.

  8. Can I obtain Tax credit in my flight training?

    Canada Revenue Agency has changed and imposed strict policies for institution like us to issue the Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (T2202) for your tuition tax credit. Please ask our administration staff for the details.

    To be eligible to receive a T2202 you must meet the following criteria:

    • Over the age of 16 before the end of the year (tax year)
    • Training towards Commercial Pilot Licence, Multi Engine Rating, Instrument Rating or Flight Instructor Rating (The tuition paid for Private Pilot Licence is applicable for tuition tax credit only if the student is enrolled for and started Commercial Pilot Licence training)
    • Spend a minimum of 12 hours in one calendar month for your training towards the licence or rating
    • Provide your Social Insurance Number to be entered on the T2202 form.

Please use vertically